Sunday, May 22, 2005
The disctrict of the commune of Mostar covers an area of 1125 sq.km in wich about 100,000 inhabitants live. The district of this commune lies in the centre of Herzegovina, on the border between its lower and upper, mountaonous, part. In the landscape of the district several features can be dististinguished such as Bijelo Polje, the ravine of Mostar, the Bisce Plain and the high mountains Prenj, Cabulja, Cvrsnica, Velez and others. The lower lime-stone mountains are denuded, showing all the form of bare karst. The most important thoroughfares in Herzegovina pass through its middle part - the valley of the Neretva. Owing to its favourable geographic position, to fertile areas in the Neretva valley and a convenient climate, this is the most populated district in Herzegovina.
Mostar is the capital and the economic and cultural centre of herzegovina and the commune. The town is situadet on the border between lower and Upper Herzegovina in the extension of the Neretva valley, in the spacious ravine of Mostar, 59 m. above sea level. Unlike most others small Herzegovinian towns, whose settlements existed in ancient times, it dates from fairly recent times. The oldest records about Mostar are from the end of 15th century. Until then the medieval town of Blagaj, 15km. to the southeast of Mostar was the main centre of this district, and in the 15th century Blagaj was the capital of Herzegovina. The first historical records say that the settlement began around a wooden bridge with chains and towers. The development of this town is connected with the building of the magnificent stone bridge by the builder, Hujradin, the pupil of the great bilder, Sinan, when a parmanent connection between the eastern western parts of Herzegovina was established.